Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saturday? Double Shot? It's go time!


If you’ve read much of my blog, you’ll know that I’m not a fan of going and getting coffee for several reasons.  Because of that particular blog post, a co-worker of mine decided to take me under his wing; first instructing me and then testing me on the different kinds of coffee, and then going with me to a coffee shop just down the street from our work.  I’ve become a little more comfortable with coffee now because of his help, (thanks Garrett)!  
Never the less, I’ve come to discover that it is even better if coffee is brought to me, as it was done yesterday by my wonderful husband.  As I cooked breakfast, he dashed down to the coffee stand by our apartment and got me a fantastic candy flavored deliciousness of a coffee called a grass hopper.  Iced.  With a double shot.  YES.
Did I mention that I don’t drink coffee very often?  I’m not sure what I was thinking getting a double shot, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that after I finished what I can only describe as liquid heaven, I had quite a bit of energy...for HOURS.  I went for a 5 mile jog/walk, finished my philosophy homework, did laundry and ran errands.  Then my poor kids, Ashitaka and Aquinas, had to deal with their Mam disturbing things around the house like a tornado. 
Ashitaka AKA: Ashi, Mashi, Little

Thomas Aquinas AKA: Poopie, Poop

The kids know me well enough to understand that I’m crazy.  Get a little energy in me (which I haven’t had in a while) and I go a bit bonkers.  What they aren’t used to is me going in and completely destroying their world.
We’ve been struggling to keep Ashi’s food away from Aquinas because he will Hoover it down in about five seconds if he gets to it.  So, Ashi’s food has been moved to the dining room table (don’t worry, it’s mostly used as a very disorganized desk for me, not as an actual place where we eat), and Aquinas’ food is on the floor.  The Poop still manages to get to Ashi's food sometimes, as evidenced by chew marks on some of the books, but overall the system works pretty well.
Going on with the story, I decided that before I did my homework, I was going to clean up the table (which is supposed to be the husband’s job), and then maybe I’d move stuff around a bit.  The table used to be right underneath the counter of the kitchen.  My caffeine fueled brain came up with a horrifying vision of the animals getting on the counter, Aquinas finding himself in the sink, and Ashi turning on the garbage disposal on him.  Obviously, it is my job as a Mam to make sure this never happens.  
So, here’s the change:
The book shelf and the table switched places. OMG!

    This apparently wasn't ok with the kids.  Well, actually it wasn't ok with Aquinas.  This is the sequence of events after the big move:

Mam!  What did you do?!  I am SHOCKED (and feeling insecure).
Life is not worth living.  I give up!  (Did I mention I'm feeling insecure?)
Aaaah.  Big brother Mash and our favorite blankie makes things all better.   Insecure?  I don't even know what that means.
     This trial finally over, I figured the drama was over.  The Poop was sleeping, Ashi was enjoying his favorite pass time of smothering him, and I was all set to get my homework done.  LIKE A BOSS.

     What I'd forgotten to anticipate was the reaction of the husband:
If you're wondering, that's a mix of wonder and horror (he's not that good with change either)...
Sounds like another job for Super Mashi!  (A kitteh's job is never done).

After I finished with everything for the day, it was time to make dinner.  By this time, I was going crazy.  I was so physically tired (remember I jogged...JOGGED!!...I had a good reason to be tired!).  I was having a hard time moving and I really didn’t think I was going to be able to move enough to make dinner.
I was also going even more crazy than I was before.  Everything I did had an inner monologue to go with it.  Lucky for me, my sister puts up with this stuff very well.  The only way I was able to finish cooking was by sending her pictures explaining what I was doing and giving her the inner monologue of it all.  She thought it would be fun to put the recipe and pics up on my blog.  So, if you want a great recipe for scalloped potatoes, here it is (sans the worst parts of my monologue...I spare you that)!


Easy Scalloped Potato Recipe!
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
3 lb. red potatoes thinly sliced
1 cup chicken broth
Green onions
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Whatever the crap you want!
HEAT oven to 350°F. 
Slice the potatoes...like a BOSS!
Mix the sour cream, cream cheese, and chicken broth until well blended. 

Add everything together and gently stir until everything is coated (very intense work).

Spoon into baking dish (13x9 inch), sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 1 hour.

Not as fun...cleaning up afterward. :(

Finished product (I will not take the blame for the upside down picture)!
EAT!  (Again, like a BOSS!)

No comments:

Post a Comment